March 29, 2020
Message to DeBakey HSHP Parents
We all understand we are in a very unusual and stressful time. The adversity we are currently experiencing has changed our lives. Despite our national emergency, we are finding our way through it all.
As I stated in my March 21st message, our goal is to provide our students with continuing educational opportunities. Luckily our staff and students had taken most of their educational resources and laptops home Thursday, March 12th. We are now moving to online teaching and learning…. a “new normal”. This past week, your student should have logged into the HISD HUB and connected with their teachers. Teachers have posted a schedule of their availability and online “live” times, instructions regarding any missing assignments, and assignment or activities for them to begin which will be due after April 13th.
As all students are isolated at home, it is important that they connect with their teachers and classmates as often as possible. Encourage your student to develop a regular routine and secure a quiet place at home to complete their assignments. They should check the HUB each day and dedicate a minimum of 2-3 hours daily on their assignments. The College Board Advanced Placement courses will require additional hours. Academic work, as well as social interaction, are both important to enhance and maintain their well-being. Parents will be notified if students fail to log in on a regular basis.
DeBakey HSHP students are smart and resilient. DeBakey HSHP’s teachers are challenged with providing our students with engaging and realistic assignments that will help them finish the school year with the foundation to continue next year at their next educational level.
Please note the following updates:
- Monday, March 30th is a school holiday.
- The fifth (5th) Grading Cycle ends Thursday, April 9th.
- The time frame for making up 5th grading cycle assignments, students may have not completed through Thursday, March 12th, is now March 23rd – April 9th.
- There should not be any new assignments due between March 23rd – April 9th. Any new assignments will be due after April 13th as part of the 6th grading cycle.
- Regular and PAP course assignments should not require more than 1 hour a week per course.
- STAAR exams will not be administered this Spring 2020 to students in Texas.
- Advanced Placement course assignments should not exceed 2 hours a week per course. Additional time is required to cover all material that will be on the Advanced Placement Exams.
- The College Board will administer Advanced Placement Exams for college credit during May/June. Additional information will be provided by College Board the week of April 6th.
- Friday, April 10th is a HISD holiday.
- As of Friday, March 27th, HISD Schools are scheduled to reopen Monday, April 13th. Depending on the National, Texas, or Harris County health status, Dr. Lathan will announce any changes or revisions of the remaining school year during the week of April 6th.
- The sixth (6th) Grading Cycle begins Monday, April 13th.
You can access your student’s grades through HISD Gradespeed. Please contact your student’s teacher, counselor or an administrator through their emails for questions, assistance or concerns. DeBakey HSHP staff emails are available on our website: https://www.houstonisd.org/debakey.
I am wishing the best to you and your family during your “stay at home”.
Please remain healthy.